If you’re noticing that your posts are disappearing from people’s feeds, and you can’t seem to find out why it might be because they muted you.
The mute feature on Instagram allows users to stop receiving notifications from those who they are following on the app.
It can be useful for those who want to avoid arguments or disagreements with other users, but it can also be used maliciously by someone who wants to harass another person.
Here’s how to find out if someone muted you on Instagram, and what to do if that happens.
How to check if someone muted you on Instagram
The mute button on Instagram only applies to your posts and stories, not the people who follow you. There is no way to know if someone has muted you or not because there is no notification that they have done so.
You can only find out when they post something and it doesn’t show up in your feed. If you mute someone’s posts, they will not receive any notification that they are muted.
To check if someone muted you on Instagram, go to their profile and look for the “Mute” button. If the “Mute” button is blue, then they mute you; if the “Mute” button is gray, then they are currently muted but have the ability to unmute themselves.
If someone muted you on Instagram, there is no way to get them to unmute themselves.
There is another possible option to try. Here’s how to check:
1. On your mobile device, go to the top of the Home screen, then tap Menu.
2. Tap Settings and scroll to find Sound; Notification settings.
3. In Sound; Notifications settings, tap “Mute List.” This will display a list of users who have muted you recently or at all time in your contacts list on a specific device.
How to react when get muted
Don’t take it personally. It might be that they muted you because they don’t want to follow you back, or they are just too busy to see what you’re posting.
Make sure that you’re posting content that is relevant, interesting, or just different in some way. If you are too boring or mundane, they might just not want to follow you back.
How to un-mute someone on Instagram
If you ever wished you could unblock or unmute a friend on Instagram, now is your chance. Here are the steps to do so:
1. Open Instagram on your phone.
2. Tap on the three lines in the top left corner of the screen. This will open the Settings page.
3. Under “Privacy”, tap on “Blocked Accounts.”
4. Tap on the name of the person you want to unmute or unblock. If they are unmuted, a red “Mute” button will appear next to their name. If they are blocked, a green “Block” button will appear next to their name.
5. Tap on the button that corresponds to your desired action: Unmute, unblock, or Report Abusive Behavior.